I am reading all of these articles on students having their own laptops or ipads in class and I am growing concerned with the SES gap that is already growing between school districts across the nation. Access to technology is without a doubt a privilege and enhancing the learning experiences of students, but what about low-income school districts that can not indulge in that luxury. It must put a damper on the capabilities of these students.
Hypothetically, let's say that two students attend the same university. One of them grew up having access to all of these technological tools, are familiar with multiple ways to engage in projects, activities, accessing knowledge, etc. Place him against a student who had experience with a run-down computer lab that was visited a couple times a week, mostly engaged in self-directed learning of the resources available to him or her, and honestly there is a severe advantage of one over the other.
I understand that disparities are already in existence and are far from being neutralized, but is this not just another thing to separate the students of this generation.
I guess all I can say is that I was blessed to have access to technology and I should probably be ashamed I have not used it to its full advantage. I was wondering what other people thought of this growing issue...let me know
No comments:
Post a Comment